Corn is easy to cook but to determine the amount of time you need to cook them will depend on how you want them cooked. Keep in mind that you corn can be cooked by grilling or boiling so if you want to how long to cook corn in a cob, you need to know how if you want them grilled or boiled.
To cook corn in a cob, the first thing you need to do is buying the right corn. If you want to enjoy good corn then you should start by picking the best. A fresh and ripe ear of corn is the best type of corn. You can find fresh ears of corn from your local market but make sure to choose them carefully. Choose only those with bright green husks and should fit snugly around the ears of the corn. The kernels should be tight together and is usually plump and milky in appearance. To ensure that the corns are fresh, do not remove the husks if you don’t want to cook them just yet. When you are ready to cook, remove the husks and silk from the corn and discard them. If you are ready, here’s how to cook corn in cob by boiling.
You will need:
- Fresh corn (depends on how many you want to cook)
- Salt, pepper or butter
- Pot with cover
- Take a large pot with cover and add water in it. Make sure that the water is enough to cover all corns.
- Let the water boil but do not add salt. This will toughen the corn.
- Add the corn to the boiling water and let it cook while covered it for 4-5 minutes. Once the water boils, remove the lid.
- Let the water and corn boil for another 10 minutes without covering it.
- You will know if the corn is cooked when the colors of the kernels are bright yellow (since we are using sweet corn) in appearance however since there are other types of corn, you should check if the kernels are soft enough when poked.
- Once the time is up, remove the corn from the water and place them in a rack to drain excess water.
- Add salt, pepper or butter while still warm.